Are you prepared for a natural disaster, pandemic outbreak, or other emergency situation? Having an emergency grab bag is just one of the many precautions you should take to ensure your safety in case of a disastrous situation. Emergency grab bags are a small kit that ensure you have key essentials to hand in a crisis. They are easy to prepare and only take about half an hour to put together. You don’t need anything fancy or expensive to create one; all you need is accessible storage and some basic supplies like water, food, and clothing. Keeping one of these kits in your home, car, work locker, briefcase, or purse will make things easier if there’s ever an emergency that warrants leaving your location quickly.
What Should Be in Your Emergency Grab Bag?
There are certain items you should always include in your emergency grab bag. These include things such as water, food, a first aid kit, a flashlight and batteries, and a knife. Each of these items serves a specific function and will help you stay safe and prepared during an emergency.
- Water – Water is one of the most important items to have in your emergency grab bag. This is because your body can only go about three days without it, particularly in hot or humid weather. If a natural disaster or other emergency makes it difficult to access clean water, you’ll be glad you have water stored in your grab bag.
- Food – Food is another important item that you should have in your emergency grab bag. This is because natural disasters and other emergencies can make it difficult or impossible to access food. Having food in your grab bag is especially important if you have small children or other family members in your home. Freeze dried food is ideal for including in grab bags as it is long lasting, lightweight, compact and nutritious.
- First Aid Kits – First aid kits are incredibly useful for treating minor injuries, such as cuts or scratches. It’s also a good idea to add any prescription medications you need to your emergency grab bag.
- Flashlights and Batteries – A flashlight can make navigating your home or finding your way around in the dark much easier. It’s also helpful for finding your way in a place where the power is out. Batteries are another item you should always include in your emergency grab bag.
- Knife – A knife is an incredibly handy item to have in your grab bag. It can be used for a number of tasks, such as cutting bandages or clothes to fit someone who is injured. A knife can also be helpful in self-defence situations.
What to Put in an Emergency Grab Bag
If you only include the items listed above in your emergency grab bag, you’ll have a good start. However, you will also want to select a few extra items that don’t fall into the general categories listed above.
- Medication – If you have a medical condition that requires medication, you should include a few extra doses in your emergency grab bag. This is because emergencies can make it difficult or impossible to access medical supplies.
- Notebook and Pen – A notebook is useful for keeping track of important information and contact details. This includes things such as phone numbers, email addresses, and important passwords. You can also use the notebook to write down information about your family members, pets, or other loved ones.
- Extra Shoes – If you have small children or elderly family members who live with you, you may want to include a pair of extra shoes in your grab bag. This is because you never know when you might have to walk through floodwaters or some other unsafe area.
- Map of the Area – If you live in an area that’s prone to natural disasters, you may want to include a map of the local area in your grab bag. This is particularly important if you need to evacuate your home and need to know the best escape route.
Natural Disaster Scenarios
There are many different natural disasters that can occur, and each comes with its own set of precautions. You may want to include certain items in your emergency grab bag if you live in an area that’s prone to one or more of the following:
- Floods – Floods can occur in any area of the country. You may want to include an emergency pump in your grab bag if you live in an area that’s prone to floods. This will make it easier to drain floodwater from your home.
- Pandemic Outbreaks – Other Emergencies You May Face There are countless other potential emergencies that can occur. Some of the most common include a large-scale power outage, storm surge, cyber attack, or a large-scale blackout. You may want to include certain items in your emergency grab bag if you live in an area that’s prone to one or more of these.
- Temporary Power Outages – If you live in an area that’s prone to frequent power outages, you may want to include a flashlight and extra batteries in your grab bag. This is particularly important if you have small children or elderly family members living with you.
- Storm Surge – If you live in an area that’s prone to storm surges, you may want to include items such as a weather radio and a map of the surrounding area in your grab bag. Storm surges are often accompanied by flooding, which makes the map helpful for deciding the best escape route.
- Cyber Attacks – If you work in a field that’s particularly susceptible to cyber attacks, you may want to include a pair of earplugs in your grab bag. This is because the sound of alarms and other noises triggered by a cyber attack can be extremely disruptive.
How to Create an Emergency Grab Bag
There are two ways to approach obtaining an emergency grab bag. The first approach is to start from scratch.
Simply locate a large, easy-to-carry bag or backpack. You can then collect the items you want to include in your bag over time, adding them as you find them or identify a specific requirement. This can be a cost effective approach, but you may find that food expires regularly if you don’t choose super long life options.
The second approach is to purchase a specially made Emergency Grab Bag, such as those available at www.foodbunker.co.uk. These are specifically developed to meet your requirements and can be further customised by you to create a more bespoke solution.
An emergency grab bag is an important item to have in the event of a disaster. It should contain items that will keep you safe and provide the necessities you need during the duration of the emergency. The items you decide to put in your bag will depend on your location and what types of emergencies are common in your area.